East Ave. Camps Jr. Counselor Information
The primary goal of Junior Counselor (J.C.) Leadership Volunteer Program is to create and foster leadership through hands-on experience at our East Ave. camps. While anyone between the ages of 14-18 may apply, we would like to remind all applicants that space is limited and acceptance into the program will be based on successful completion of a volunteer application, availability and interview. Any teen with a strong desire to work with children are encouraged to apply. Successful J.C.s are generally enthusiastic, dedicated, and devoted to providing our camp participants with a memorable experience.
What is a Junior Counselor?
Junior Counselors are invaluable members of our summer team as they provide the support to our Camp Directors. Volunteers are trained in supervision, safety, problem solving, and leading camp activities. They will receive on-the-job training and job skills that are not available through other mediums and will assist staff with leading camp activities. At the end of each week, volunteers will receive evaluations of their participation and suggestions for areas of improvement.
In-service training will be held from June 19th- June 21st from 3:00pm-7:00pm. Training will take place at East Ave Park (3221 East Ave.). During this training, our JCs will become versed in customer service, camp activities, and how to deal with challenging scenarios.
Requirements & Expectations
Volunteers that are admitted to the program will be expected to meet the following requirements:
- Submit completed volunteer application by March 8, 2019 at 5pm.
- Must be at least 14 years old by June 19, 2019 (first day of in-service training).
- Able to provide proof of negative TB skin test by June 19, 2019 (first day of in-service training).
- Attend in-service training (June 19-21) is mandatory.
- Volunteer for a minimum of 2 weeks, in addition to in-service week.
- Must provide their own transportation to and from program sites.
Download a volunteer application or pick one up at our District Office.
Applications can be delivered to:
H.A.R.D. (East Ave. Camps)
1099 “E” Street
Hayward, CA 94541